The Hood Memorial Hall, Devauden
The hall is used by a large number of community groups (see Notice Board) and is available to hire for parties (see Hiring the Hall). It has been recently refurbished and has a well fitted kitchen, large hall, separate meeting room and a playing field. The hall has a car park and has disabled access ramps.
The hall is a registered charity with an active constitution. It is managed by trustees who are the elected officers of the committee. The Hall Committee is responsible for the day-to-day management and maintenance of the hall.
Hiring The Hall
The hall is great for parties and other social functions - click here for more information.
It also has facilities that can be used for seminars, training and other corporate events - click here for more information.
Scout and Girlguiding groups can hire the hall for camps and sleepovers - click here for more information.
The Hood Memorial Hall is managed, operated, and run entirely by volunteers.
Volunteers make up the totality of the Hall’s operation, whether they are
helping to erect marquees, cooking, running stalls,
An explanation of the rights and responsibilities of volunteers, as well as details of the arrangements for insurance, expenses and other relevant information are given in the Volunteering Policy document.
The committee of the Hood Memorial Hall is committed to the elimination of discrimination and to encouraging diversity in all of the services and events it provides. Our aim is that in this way all members of our community will feel welcome and well provided for.
For more details please refer to our Equal Opportunities Policy document.
The Notice Board Page lists details of events at the hall.
The Devauden Website Archive Page has information about previous events held at the hall.
In 1944, it was decided by Violet Hood, Elizabeth Ferrard, Charles Ewill and John Rogers that the parish of Devauden needed a village hall, and their work began. Violet Hood donated the initial funds to start the process. At the end of 1950 they bought the piece of land where the hall now stands and the hall was built in due course. They then gave the Hall Building and surrounding land to the village community of Devauden, to be managed by this charity. The trust deed that founded this charity is dated 25th February 1960, sixteen years after the initial decision was made - fundraising and building work took time even then! The hall was given “for the use of meetings, lectures, classes and forms of recreation and leisure time and occupation with the object of improving the conditions of life for the inhabitants”.
2011 - Outdoor lighting and power, insulation and improved disabled access.
2009 - Ceiling and Fire Safety
2008 - Roofing
2007 - CEDS Building Project
2006 - New Playground, Stage and Cinema System
In 2006 a major project was undertaken to provide an adventure playground, cinema system and stage. The hall committee were successful in obtaining an Article 33 funding grant from the Welsh Assembly Government, the European Union and Monmouthshire County Council. This was combined with some large donations from companies and individuals connected with the village to produce a total of about £50,000. The project was completed in August 2006.
Use the following link to find out more about this project.
Follow us on
Last updated: 29/04/2013