History

Devauden and the nearby hamlet of Fedw or Veddw were originally clusters of illicit cottages built as a base by woodcutters, mule drivers, quarrymen and labourers linked to the wireworks at Tintern and the Angiddy valley.

 

Anne Wareham of Veddw House Garden has researched the local history of Devauden.  

Here's a link to an article on her website.

John Wesley preached his first sermon in Wales on October 15, 1739.

James Davies (1765-1849) was schoolmaster at Devauden and played an important part in the development of the village during the early nineteenth century. 

Map of Devauden from 1886.